Saturday, October 12, 2013

Around the Web #8

Hi guys! The weekend is finally here and I’m happy to share with you some news around the web in this week’s round-up.


Booklovers Anonymous
The last two books I’ve read were absolutely fabulous [reviews next week!] and I feel almost restored and inspired. But now, the wait for the next book in the series begins all over again. Yup, I admit reading series is addicting, and reading good series is even worse because you can’t help but wait for the next book with eager anticipation, counting months, days, hours, minutes… You get the idea and Buzzfeed knows exactly how we, addicts booklovers, feel.


What It Feels Like When The Next Book Finally Comes Out ~ Link



Smitten Kitchen
I always talk of my love for all things food and I realized that I almost never share any foodie links. So, I had to fix it immediately, especially since I just came across a few great articles from Smitten Kitchen creator Deb Perelman. Deb shares some of her fall go-to dishes and talks how to throw a party for 16 guests in a small kitchen.

Deb Perelman

Deb Perelman: big ideas in a small kitchen ~ Link

Warm Up with Suppers From Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen ~ Link

Nobel Prize
I have not had the pleasure of reading any of Alice Munro’s works [perhaps I should?], but I could not forget to mention the lady who has become the 13th female winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature. Congrats Ms. Munro!

Nobel Prize in Literature: the women who've won it ~ Link

Bridget Jones
There has been an almost overwhelming amount of press for the new Bridget Jones novel I feel, so here’s one of the articles that popped on my radar – a review by LA Times.

'Mad About the Boy' catches up with Bridget Jones in 2013 ~ Link

Movie News


Outlander series kicked off production this week, and Ronald Moore and Diana Gabaldon are visiting New York Comic Con (NYCC) as we speak, fending off multitude of adoring fans and questions. All I can say is I’m very excited to see it come to life on screen. For news and updates follow @Outlander_Starz on Twitter.

In other news, The Fault in Our Stars and The Maze Runner get release dates, Nicole Kidman nabs a leading role in The Silent Wife, and BBC to is set to adopt War and Peace into a miniseries event in 2015!

A.S.A. Harrison

Nicole Kidman To Star In ‘The Silent Wife’ ~ Link

‘The Fault in Our Stars’ release date revealed, ‘The Maze Runner’ delayed ~ Link

Mipcom: The Weinstein Co Boards BBC’s ‘War and Peace’ Event Series ~ Link

Ratings
Everyone’s favorite topic these days it seems – rating and reviewing books. This article talks about an interesting rating/ranking theory for Amazon-listed books. Personally, I tend not to rate books on the blog. I don’t mind sharing my thoughts and opinions via reviews, but I find rating systems too open for interpretation. How do you feel about/interpret book ratings?

Ranking Books by Their Total Number of Amazon Stars ~ Link

Victoria, xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Another great round-up of information! Just to comment on the ratings thing: I'm with you, I'd rather share my opinions and not rate a book. I do it sometimes on The Reading Room, but that's because they send me ARCs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindi! :) I also rate books when necessary, like Amazon and Goodreads. I just think that "rating" is very personal, what 5 stars mean to me might mean totally different to someone else, so I don't think it's a good indicator whether a it's a good book or not. But I do rely on reviews of others.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...